Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Then at one point I did not need to translate the notes, they went directly to my hand

I've been really interested in Francesca Woodman for a while. Her elusive self portraits and long exposures have this mysterious way about them, like she's almost trying to hide from the camera. Like so many profound artists, Francesca took her life at the young age of 22. “My life at this point is like very old coffee-cup sediment and I would rather die young leaving various accomplishments . . . instead of pell-mell erasing all of these delicate things…”. It's almost as though her ghostlike images were a representation of what would be her untimely end.

















The reason I enjoy self portraits is how personal they are; being the artist behind and in front of the camera, making something completely your own. And being the perfectionist I am, it's a lot easier to make yourself do something a million times to get that perfect image rather than someone else.  




No comments:

Post a Comment